John S Finnell, ND, MPH, LAc
Director of DAOM Program and Research
Prior to beginning his career in integrative medicine, Dr. Finnell completed a master of science in environmental engineering at the Royal Institute of Technology in Sweden. His interest in lifestyle and environmental determinants of health then led him to earn a doctorate of naturopathic medicine and a master of science in acupuncture and Oriental medicine from Bastyr University, as well as a master of public health in epidemiology from the University of Washington.
In addition to maintaining a professional naturopathic and Chinese medicine practice, Dr. Finnell has also completed a post-doctoral fellowship with the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH). He has led and participated in numerous research studies, including studies funded by the NCCIH, the Diabetes Action Research and Education Foundation, and the National Health Association. A frequent presenter at professional conferences throughout the United States and internationally, his work has appeared in peer-reviewed journals such as the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. Dr. Finnell’s strong research background and clinical experience as a naturopathic and Chinese medicine practitioner enable him to bring an evidence-based and integrative perspective to AOMA’s doctoral program.
In his role as DAOM program director, Dr. Finnell participated in the reaccreditation process to reaffirm AOMA’s level change with Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) to award the doctoral-level degree, and led the eligibility effort to achieve candidacy (pre-accreditation) status for the DAOM with the Accreditation Commission on Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (ACAOM).
Research and Academic Interests:
- Lifestyle and environmental determinants of health: health-span optimization, chronic disease prevention, and lifestyle education for the improvement of quality of life.
- Nutrition and botanical medicine: nutritional epidemiology, whole foods nutrition, dietary interventions, caloric restriction, medically supervised fasting and pharmacognosy.
- Integrative medicine: models of inter-professional clinical education and practice, integrative patient-centered medical home, and patient centered outcomes research.
- Translational medicine: proteomics, nutrigenomics, metabolism and aging.
- Professional Memberships
- Licensure and Certifications
Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine – State of Texas
Naturopathic Medicine – State of Washington
East Asian Medicine – State of Washington
Diplomate of Oriental Medicine – NCCAOM
- Honors & Awards
Graduate Scholarship, Bastyr University, Kenmore, WA. 2006 – 2007 Silver Scholarship, Bastyr University, Kenmore, WA. 2003 – 2004 Sprint Values Excellence Awardee, Sprint, Irving, TX. 2000 – 2002 Low International Scholarship, Austin College, Sherman, TX. 1994 – 1995 Arthur V. & Mary A. Boand Scholarship, Austin College. 1991 – 1995
1. Finnell, J. S., Saul, B. C., Goldhamer, A. C., & Myers, T. R. (2018). Is fasting safe? A chart review of adverse events during medically supervised, water-only fasting. BMC Complement Altern Med, 18(1), 67. doi:10.1186/s12906-018-2136-6 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29458369
2. Sexton, M., Cuttler, C., Finnell, J. S., & Mischley, L. K. (2016). A Cross-Sectional Survey of Medical Cannabis Users: Patterns of Use and Perceived Efficacy. Cannabis and Cannabinoid Research, 1(1), 131-138. doi:10.1089/can.2016.0007 http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/pdf/10.1089/can.2016.0007
3. Sexton, M., Cudaback, E., Abdullah, R. A., Finnell, J., Mischley, L. K., Rozga, M., . . . Stella, N. (2014). Cannabis use by individuals with multiple sclerosis: effects on specific immune parameters. Inflammopharmacology, 22(5), 295-303. doi:10.1007/s10787-014-0214-z https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4170074/
4. Traub, M. L., Finnell, J. S., Bhandiwad, A., Oberg, E., Suhaila, L., & Bradley, R. (2014). Impact of vitamin D3 dietary supplement matrix on clinical response. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 99(8), 2720-2728. doi:10.1210/jc.2013-3162 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4121030/
5. McDougall, J., Thomas, L. E., McDougall, C., Moloney, G., Saul, B., Finnell, J. S., . . . Petersen, K. M. (2014). Effects of 7 days on an ad libitum low-fat vegan diet: the McDougall Program cohort. Nutr J, 13, 99. doi:10.1186/1475-2891-13-99 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4209065/
6. Mischley, L. K., Vespignani, M. F., & Finnell, J. S. (2013). Safety survey of intranasal glutathione. J Altern Complement Med, 19(5), 459-463. doi:10.1089/acm.2011.0673 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3651682/
7. Finnell, J. S. (2012). Strategies for Repletion of Vitamin D Nutritional Deficiency: A Comparative Effectiveness Trial of High-quality Vitamin D3 Nutritional Supplements to Replete Serum Vitamin D. (MPH in Epidemiology), University of Washington, Seattle, Washington. (Manuscript ID: 10693) http://gradworks.umi.com/15/29/1529071.html
8. Finnell J.S. (1998). Impact of chromium on wastewater treatment efficiency in Nowy Targ, Poland - Proposal for technology development. (Master's ), Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden. (AVAT-EX-1998-08) http://rymd.lwr.kth.se/forskningsprojekt/Polishproject/SP/index.htm#Publications1996-99
1. Finnell J.S., S. B., Goldhamer A., Myers T. (2016). Is Fasting Safe? Adverse Events Experienced During Medically-supervised, Water-only Fasting. Las Vegas, NV.
2. Finnell J.S., B. R., Bulayeva N., Rosenblatt K.P. (2014a). Repletion of Vitamin D Insufficiency Increases Circulating Levels of the Anti-aging Protein Klotho. Paper presented at the International Research Congress on Integrative Medicine and Health (IRCIMH), Miami, FL.
3. Finnell J.S., B. R., Bulayeva N., Rosenblatt K.P. (2014b). Comparative Analysis of radio-immunoassay and LC/MS/MS for the Determination of Serum Vitamin D Levels. Paper presented at the International Research Congress on Integrative Medicine and Health (IRCIMH), Miami, FL.
4. Finnell J.S., M. G., Petersen K., McDougall J. (2013). Acute Effects of a Low-Fat Plant-Based Diet on Cardiac Risk Factors and Medications. Paper presented at the Linus Pauling Institute Conference (LPI) on Diet and optimal Health, Corvallis, OR.
5. Finnell J.S., B. R., Bulayeva N., Rosenblatt K.P. (2013). Vitamin D and Aging: Unraveling the Regulatory Axis between Vitamin D and Klotho. Paper presented at the Linus Pauling Institute Conference (LPI) on Diet and optimal Health, Corvallis, OR.
6. Traub M., F. J. S., Bhandiwad A., Oberg E., Bradley R. (2012). A comparative effectiveness trial of highquality Vitamin D3 nutritional supplements to replenish serum Vitamin D. Paper presented at the International Research Congress on Integrative Medicine and Health (IRCIMH), Portland, OR.
7. Finnell J.S., T. M., Bradley R., Neal-Kababick J. (2011). A comparative effectiveness trial of high-quality Vitamin D3 nutritional supplements to replenish serum Vitamin D. Paper presented at the 4th European Congress of Integrative Medicine, Berlin, Germany.
8. Schepp S., M. L., Finnell J.S. (2011). Adverse Perinatal Outcomes in Women with Epilepsy: A Population-Based Study. Paper presented at the 2011 Joint Conference on Health, Washington State Public Health Association, Vancouver, WA.
9. Mischley L., V. M., Finnell J.S. (2011). Safety Survey of Intranasal Glutathione. “Diet and Optimum Health”. Paper presented at the Linus Pauling Institute Conference (LPI) on Diet and optimal Health, Corvalis, OR.
10. Finnell J.S., Y. D., Sasagawa M., Nandi A., Gurnani P., Rosenblatt K., Wenner C. (2006a). Influence of Polysaccharide Krestin® extract of Trametes versicolor on protein expression in human primary peripheral blood lymphocytes. Paper presented at the North American Research Conference on Complementary and Integrative Medicine., Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
11. Finnell J.S., Y. D., Sasagawa M., Nandi A., Gurnani P., Rosenblatt K., Wenner C. (2006b). Cross-validation of influence of Polysaccharide Krestin® extract of Trametes versicolor on protein expression in human primary peripheral blood lymphocytes. Paper presented at the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians, Portland, OR.
12. Finnell J.S., Y. D., Sasagawa M., Nandi A., Gurnani P., Rosenblatt K., Wenner C. (2006c). Differential protein expression in human lymphocytes upon Trametes versicolor extract and lectin treatment vs. medium control. Paper presented at the American Society of Pharmacognosy, Arlington, VA.
Finnell J.S. (2013) Dr. John Finnell - Vitamin D & Aging - Linus Pauling Conference Interviews/Interviewer: C. Bagerly. Grassroots Health. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk7jqjSVmdE