AOMA offers a non-degree seeking, herbs-only track for students who have already completed a degree at an ACAOM accredited school of acupuncture and Oriental medicine, but need additional instruction in Chinese herbal medicine to complete the requirements for state licensure and the NCCAOM board exam in Chinese herbal medicine.
While students in the herbs-only track take courses alongside master’s degree students, they are not eligible to convert to degree-seeking status because they have completed a degree, or the majority of their course work at another institution.
All non-degree seeking students in the herbs-only track are required to meet with the transfer advisor for review of their prior course work and placement within the herbs-only track. Students in the Herbs-Only track take courses alongside our master's degree students, have access o the same high-quality education, and are held to the same classroom standards. Students must adhere to all co-requisite and pre-requisite requirements detailed in the Graduate Program Catalog.
In general, non-degree seeking students may complete the Herbs-Only Track within 1 year and 6 months. The following is a list of courses available to students within the herbs-only track; course offerings and class times vary from term to term.
Chinese Herbology I
Chinese Herbal Studies Lab I
Chinese Herbology II
Chinese Herbal Studies Lab II
Chinese Herbology III
Chinese Herbal Studies Lab III
Nutrition & Dietary Therapy
Chinese Patent Herbal Medicine
Chinese Herbal Safety
Chinese Herbal Formulations I
Chinese Herbal Formulations II
Syndrome-based Herbs & Formulas
Herb Clinic 1
Herb Clinic 2
Chinese Herbal Formulations III
Chinese Herbal Treatment of Disease I
Chinese Herbal Treatment of Disease II
Herb Clinic 3
Herb Clinic 4
Chinese Herbal Treatment of Disease III
Herb Clinic 5
Herb Clinic 6
Didactic: 39 credits/ 468 hours
Clinical: 9 credits/ 216 hours
Track Total: 48 credits/ 684 hours
Cost of Tuition:
$60 facility fee/term
$75 practicum insurance (for clinical coursework)
other fees may apply (add/drop, returned check, etc.)
Estimated Total Tuition and Fees: $11,790
Non-degree seeking students pay the same amount for courses as students enrolled in AOMA's graduate program. Students pay course by course; therefore, costs may vary from term to term. Advance registration/payment is not possible. Students in the introductory series are non-degree seeking students and are therefore not eligible for federal financial aid or AOMA scholarships.
In order to enroll in the herbs-only track, students must meet all of AOMA’s admissions requirements and submit an application form (please select “non-degree seeking” option) in addition to the following items.
All applicants to the herbs-only track will complete an admissions interview with and are subject to the approval of the admissions committee.
- Official college transcripts sent directly from the college(s) attended to AOMA’s admissions office
Personal statement of no less than 350 words to include:
- Reasons for embarking on this course of study at this school
- Demonstration of a keen desire to study Oriental medicine
- Proof of an understanding of the major commitment of time, finances, and personal dedication necessary for a successful academic career
- Career plans
- Current resume or C.V., outlining educational and professional development
Two letters of recommendation sent directly to AOMA from professionals, instructors, and/or employers who know the applicant and the applicant’s skills and ability to perform masters level studies.
- Letters must be signed by the authors. Letters may be submitted via AOMA’s electronic submission system bearing the electronic signature of the author (see online application form for details) or submitted by mail or fax. If faxed, letters should be printed on letterhead.
- AOMA does not accept letters of recommendation submitted by direct email, photocopies, or unsigned letters.
- Copies of any professional licenses or certificates held by applicant (if applicable)
- Two passport-sized photos (2" x 2")
There is a nonrefundable application fee of $75.